Edgar Matobato, the self-proclaimed hitman who linked President Duterte to killings in Davao City, may have been telling less than the truth before the Senate anew Thursday.
While Matobato claimed his last kill job was in January 2013, Sen. Panfilo Lacson informed him he had been linked to an ambush in Mindanao in October 2014.
“Wala ka natandaang binaril mo noong October 2014? Wala ka kilalang Atty. Abeto Salcedo Jr.? Hindi mo natandaan binaril mo siya sa labas ng DAR office October 2014 sa may Bonifacio Highway?” Lacson told Matobato at the hearing of the Senate justice committee on extra-judicial killings.
“Naka-survive siya. Binaril mo siya. Magfa-file siya ng complaint,” Lacson dded.
Only last Sept. 15, Lacson found inconsistencies in Matobato’s claims, including one where Matobato said a suspected terrorist was killed in the office of the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force in Davao in 2002. Lacson noted the PAOCTF was disbanded in 2001.
In the Sept. 22 hearing, Lacson said that when Matobato was shown testifying on television last Sept. 15, Salcedo – who survived the October 2014 ambush – recognized Matobato as his assailant.
He added Salcedo helped authorities generate a cartographic sketch of his assailant, and the sketch matched Matobato’s features.
Lacson said the information was relayed to him by Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III, a native of Cagayan de Oro City.
Now, Lacson said, Salcedo wants to file a complaint against Matobato for the incident. [source]